Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Little Cloth!

     One day I realized that when my baby uses a disposable diaper they are figuratively pooping on our money and we are throwing our pooped on money in the garbage then. Yuck! How wasteful. I then started really thinking about cloth diapering. I had danced with the idea when my second baby was in diapers. I bought two pocket diapers, it didn't go well. By the time my third baby was coming along I really wanted to give it another shot. However, the start up cost of cloth diapers can be pretty pricey, a couple hundred dollars even. Not to mention there are so many options and it is over whelming!
     I dove into research and decided to get pocket diapers (which I will show you in a minute) and prefolds and wraps (cheapest option). How to pay for it though? I started looking through all of the things we had around our house that we didn't use any more like baby boy clothes ( I was expecting a girl), hardly used toys, a plethora of dishes we have never touched.  I sold a ton of stuff on facebook mom to mom sale groups, enough to fully fund our cloth diaper experiment.
     What type to get? The options are nearly endless it would appear. There are All in Ones, pocket diapers, pre folds, fitteds, wraps, covers, and soooo many brands too. I bought some used from a facebook group (cloth diapers have a great resale rate too). They were all pre folds and covers/wraps. I went to cottonbabies.com and bought a starter set of pre folds and covers too. I then purchased a few cheap pocket diapers as well. Then there were the other things that are nice too have like a diaper pail (garbage can with a lid, I got mine at family dollar for $8), pail liner (washable water proof liner, I picked this up from cottonbabies too), and a drying rack (you do not put the shells in the dryer, I got mine on clearance from Meijer for $11).
     Now I am on baby number 4 and he is in the same cloth diapers that I bought for baby number 3. I do still use disposables. I use them at night and if we are going out and about (the zoo, church, the mall...).

This a wrap and prefold


Here is a little about how to use a pocket diaper.
 Here is the insert and the shell.
We put the insert into the shell.


 Then onto baby like a regular diaper.

With a pocket diaper when you take it off of baby you remove the insert from the shell and throw it all in the diaper pail.

With pre folds and wraps you remove the diaper from baby and then only dump the prefold into the diaper pail. The shell can be saved and used again. I alternate between two shells for a day then toss them both in.

I wash diapers every 2-3 days depending on my other laundry and how many diapers I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment